My Whac-A-Mole Life: Why Me? Of Course Me.   

Why Me? Of Course Me.

"Why me?" is an almost universal question asked by many parents of children with special needs. These are two powerful words that can spur strong responses of spirituality, admiration, self-pity and sometimes hate. They can launch an introspective journey of self-improvement, or trigger a downward spiral into depression.

For better or worse, I have avoided those two words for many, many years. I tried not to ask "why me" when my first child was diagnosed with a medical disorder in utero, nor did I ask it when my second child was diagnosed with autism (seemingly overnight) when she was 15 months old.

In fact, quite the opposite. I never really expect things to go well. I feel like I'm often waiting breathlessly for something to go wrong. If all is well, THAT'S the time I ask, "why me?" and "why now?"

I do believe myself to be a genuinely good person. I like helping others when I can; I try not to hurt people; and I have never been convicted of a crime beyond a parking infraction. However, I often can be self-critical and will take things personally way more than I reveal. So, if I really wanted to ask myself, "why me?" I am sure I could come up with many, many, many reasons - most of them completely nuts.

However, I am too busy and too practical to head down this path. I am solutions-driven, and the "why me" exercise would be quite the opposite. Not only do I not have the time to dwell on that, I recognize the danger in it. It is seductive, yes, but somewhat self-indulgent, and I know I am weak. I sometimes joke that I would suffer from depression if I had the time. I am secretly envious of rock stars who get to check into hospitals to recover from "exhaustion." To me, that sounds like a luxury vacation!

But really, as the parent of a child (or children) with special needs, what's the point of asking "why me?" (Of course, I mean this in the spiritual sense. I absolutely encourage people to see geneticists, neurologists, endocrinologists and internists if there are actually medical answers to this question!). We have too much else to occupy our minds, bodies and hearts.

However, I heard something last week that has completely changed my perspective. I was at the funeral of a child. The first and hopefully last. It wasn't necessarily an "unexpected" death. She was diagnosed with a degenerative, genetic disease at age 2, and lived far beyond all expectations, to the age of 9. However, that certainly didn't diminish the gravity or tragedy of the moment. An older brother spoke, as well as both parents. Keep in mind that this child has been completely dependent on her family for years, unable to do anything - except love them - without assistance.

Here, I will paraphrase what her grieving father said in his eulogy, commenting publicly on the "Why us?" question we all dread.

"Why us? Of course us. Because who would love her more than us?"

Those simple words touched me deeply. Perhaps someone else could manage these kids of mine better than I. Perhaps you, on the outside, might look in and judge my actions...or whisper among yourselves while my daughter tantrums in the parking lot. But I assure you, I am the right parent for these kids. Because I know, with my heart and soul, no one would love them more than I.

Which leads me right back to...Why me...why should I be so lucky?
Kindly Bookmark and Share it:

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, my friend! Love your attitude, and the time invested for your children. I understand about the judging glances while our children tantrum. My guy has asked me "Why don't you just let me do what I want?!" And I have to explain that, because of LOVE, I choose to help him do the *right* thing. Hugs to you! You are the perfect mom for your children!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just getting back to my comments now. Shocking, I know. Thanks, as always, for the support! Breathe!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! Well said! Something we all need to be reminded of.
    Bobbi Sheahan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, my dear! I light up every time I see your name. Not only have you paved the path, but you are kind enough to share your wisdom.

      Delete
  3. Seriously, I NEEDED to read this right now. I love, love, love what he said. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope things are looking up! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. When I'm in a slump, I go back to these words for motivation. Much appreciated.

      Delete
  4. You made me cry. Truer words were never spoken. Could someone parent my son better than I do? Perhaps. But no one could ever love him the way I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen. No that I'm all religious or anything but that seems to sum it up the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found religion in odd places before, but on my blog? Who knew? ;) Thanks Lizbeth. We're all in this together!

      Delete
  6. I absolutely agree. When I think about my kids they are my kids for a reason. I love them beyond what I ever though possible and if people dont understand that thats their problem. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallelujah! Thanks for stopping by, my friend. You pretty much summed it all up much more succinctly as I, as usual. :)

      Delete
  7. Great post. I've been blessed to have a couple of friends to remind me of this in those tough moments when I'm tempted to go down that road of why? They remind me no one loves them like I do and no one knows them like I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly. You and your five "little rebels" are inspiration for the rest of us too! Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment!

      Delete